[nova][cyborg][gpu] GPU performance testing

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 15:21:14 UTC 2021

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 5:10 PM Sylvain Bauza <sbauza at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 4:34 PM Ildiko Vancsa <ildiko.vancsa at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As we are approaching the end of the holiday season I wanted to surface
>> back my question about GPU performance testing. Does anyone have any hints
>> to find the best tools to do some benchmarking with?
>>

> You made the point, Ildiko, I was on a long-running time-off so I didn't
> had time to look at your question yet.
>
> Good concern tho, I have no knowledge about this, but I can ping a few
> other folks to get you an answer.

Btw, I can understand this can be a frustrating by short answer, so I'll
develop.

Technically, benchmarking is a huge word : depending on your usecase,
performance can very differ for the same card (take the general example of
CPU-bound vs. IO-bound tasks and you get the idea for GPUs)
For this reason, I'd recommend you to first consider the metrics you'd like
to stress on and only then identify the tools than can sustain your needs.
For a standard test which can be errorprone but still a bit interesting,
I'd propose you to run a couple of tensorflow examples against different
environments (one with baremetal GPU, one with passthrough, one with
virtual GPUs on Nova directly, one with Cyborg). This would give you the
idea of the performance penalities but I suspect those to be less than
minor.

For real benchmarking cases, I can't answer, hence my call to other folks.
By the way, I know CERN invested a bit into HPC testing with GPUs, maybe
someone from their team or someone from the related Scientific WG could
provide more insights ?

-Sylvain

-Sylvain