A question about nova live-migration across AZ

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 09:21:15 UTC 2021

On 30-08-21 22:52:14, Laurent Dumont wrote:
> It seems to be the expected behavior from the AZ doc.
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/admin/availability-zones.html
>
> Knowing this, it is dangerous to force a server to another host with
> evacuate or live migrate if the server is restricted to a zone and is then
> forced to move to a host in another zone, because that will create an
> inconsistency in the internal tracking of where that server should live and
> may require manually updating the database for that server. For example, if
> a user creates a server in zone A and then the admin force live migrates
> the server to zone B, and then the user resizes the server, the scheduler
> will try to move it back to zone A which may or may not work, e.g. if the
> admin deleted or renamed zone A in the interim.

As listed in that doc the better approach is to shelve and then unshelve
into the specific target AZ. This should update the request spec
avoiding the post move issues described above.

https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/?expanded=unshelve-restore-shelved-server-unshelve-action-detail#unshelve-restore-shelved-server-unshelve-action

--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76