Edge for scientific research session on September 13 Edge WG meeting

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko.vancsa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 00:00:38 UTC 2021

Hi,

I’m very excited to invite you to a session with the Chameleon project to discuss how edge computing is powering education, scientific research and more! As always in the area of edge there are challenges and gaps that we need to solve together. In that sense the session will start with a presentation that we will then turn into a discussion to turn towards discussing solutions.

Please also note that the Chameleon project is using OpenStack to build edge solutions. As they identified some gaps they would like to work with the community to address the challenges that they’ve been hitting. Please join us to get their feedback and find the best way to improve OpenStack to deliver a platform that can be used on the edge!

The session will take place on the OpenInfra Edge Computing Group weekly call on __September 13, at 1300 UTC / 6am Pacific__.
For the latest dial-in information please refer to this page: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Edge_Computing_Group#Meetings

Please find the details of the session below.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ildikó

Title: Chameleon: a cloud to edge infrastructure for science

Abstract: The NSF-funded Chameleon project (www.chameleoncloud.org) provides an OpenStack-based bare metal reconfigurable cloud that supports systems research, education, and emergent application projects in science. The facility has been in existence for 6+ years, and has served ~6,000 users working on a variety of projects ranging from networking, operating systems design, and security, to innovative applications in astronomy, physics, and life sciences.  Recent research trends in IoT and edge computing, as evidenced by increased numbers of project applications in those areas, made it clear that Chameleon needed to expand into the edge space. Remaining within the OpenStack framework allowed us to leverage end-user features that we developed for Chameleon, such as access via federated identity and Jupyter integration. Accordingly, we developed infrastructure called CHI at Edge that adapts Zun to provision containers on edge devices and significantly expands its capabilities to work in the edge space. The talk will describe our use case and the emergent product definition, the OpenStack adaptations we made to the current preview implementation, the directions we plan to take in our further work, as well as the ecosystem of projects and NSF infrastructure deployments leveraging this work and collaborating with us.