Active and standby controller nodes

Michal Arbet michal.arbet at ultimum.io
Fri Aug 20 11:00:00 UTC 2021

Hi Midhunlal,

If your infrastructure services which should have minimal 3 nodes to form a
quorum (like RabbitMQ and Mariadb and potentially some additional services
If you are using some)
are running on controller nodes, you should have 3 controllers.

If you are HW limited, you also can have 2 nodes, but you can expect some
form of split-brain in future.
If you still will have only 2 controllers,

1. you should consider to use mariadb arbitrator for mariadb (member of
quorum, not replicating data) which should be in some third location
2. Handle cluster_partition_handling in rabbitmq config (probably autoheal
for two nodes)

Next you have to prepare some loadbalancer (haproxy, nginx , apache ? ),
some HA solution (keepalived ? with virtualiP ) and add that two
controllers as backends.
Edit endpoints to point to HA virtualIP address of loadbalancer

That's  minimal I think.

Michal Arbet
Openstack Engineer

Ultimum Technologies a.s.