[puppet] Propose retiring puppet-monasca

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 12 10:09:06 UTC 2021

Hello,

tl;dr
If nobody is interested in fixing bug 1930553, then I'll propose
retiring puppet-monasca during this cycle.

A few months ago, I found an issue[1] with puppet-monasca and it turned out
that
the module is not compatible with the recent puppet-python.
The module still relies on python::virtualenv which was removed in
puppet-python 6.0.
Currently the gate was unblocked by pinning puppet-python to an older
version
but we should remove that pin at some point.
 [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/puppet-monasca/+bug/1930553

However, fixing the problem requires relatively large refactoring, and I'm
afraid
we(at least, I) don't have enough resources for that.
The main challenge is that we have no functional tests in our CI jobs now
to validate the fix in puppet-monasca.

I checked the commit history of this module but I don't see any meaningful
change
made for several years. If nobody is interested in maintaining the module
and fixing
the problem then I'd propose retiring the module.

I'll wait for any feedback for a week, then decide whether I'll submit
actual patches
to retire the repo.

Thank you,
Takashi