[all] Octavia LoadBalancer Error

Gregory Thiemonge gthiemonge at redhat.com
Tue Apr 6 10:09:06 UTC 2021

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 4:14 PM Adekunbi Adewojo <aadewojo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I recently deployed a load balancer on our openstack private cloud. I used
> this manual -
> https://docs.openstack.org/octavia/latest/user/guides/basic-cookbook.html
> to create the load balancer. However, after creating and trying to access
> it, it returns an error message saying "No server is available to handle
> this request". Also on the dashboard, "Operating status" shows offline but
> "provisioning status" shows active. I have two web applications as members
> of the load balancer and I can individually access those web applications.

Hi,

provisioning status ACTIVE shows the load balancer was successfully created
but operating status OFFLINE indicates that the amphora is unable to
communicate with the Octavia health-manager service.
Basically, the amphora should report its status to the hm service using UDP
messages (on a controller, you can dump the UDP packets on the o-hm0
interface), do you see any errors in the hm logs? I would
recommend enabling the debug messages in the health-manager, and to check
the logs, you should see messages about incoming packets:

Apr 06 10:02:20 devstack2 octavia-health-manager[1747820]: DEBUG
octavia.amphorae.drivers.health.heartbeat_udp [-] Received packet from
('192.168.0.73', 11273) {{(pid=1747857) dorecv
/opt/stack/octavia/octavia/amphorae/drivers/health/heartbeat_udp.py:95}}

The "No server is available to handle this request" response from the
amphora indicates that haproxy is correctly running on the VIP interface
but it doesn't have any member servers. Perhaps fixing the health-manager
issue will help to understand why the traffic is not dispatched to the
members.