[Neutron] How to provide internet access to tier 2 instance

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at mailbox.org
Sun Apr 4 14:44:23 UTC 2021

I have a pretty standard single-server Victoria Devstack, where I
created this network topology:

public       private      backend
   |             |             |
   |  /-------\  |-- I1        |- I2
   |--|Router1|--|             |
   |  \-------/  |             |
   |             |  /-------\  |
   |             |--|Router2|--|
   |             |  \-------/  |
   |             |             |

I1 and I2 are instances.

My question:

Is it possible to give I2 access to the external world to install
software and download files? I don't need access **to** I2 **from** the
external world.

My unsuccessful attempt:

After adding a static default route via Router1 to Router2, I can ping
the internet from Router2's namespace, but not from I2.

My guess is that Router1 ignores traffic from networks that are not
attached to it. I don't have enough experience to understand the
netfilter rules in Router1's namespace, and in any case, rather than
tweaking them I need a supported method to give I2 internet access, or
the confirmation that it is not possible.

Thanks much for any insights and suggestions.

Bernd