OpenstackSwift - rclone Copy/Sync Large Objects set (150Mil objects - 80TB) from Tenant PROD1 to PROD2

prem shivakumar psk.9009 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 21:47:47 UTC 2020

Hi Open-stack users,

Our current setup:
PROD1
          Container1
                        Dir1/Dir2/YYYYMMDD.tar

Want to move to:
PROD2
             Container2_YYYYMM
                           Dir1/Dir2/YYYYMMDD.tar

I got all the objects metadata(Object names) using “swift list Container1”

I am currently using rclone where I am passing metadata(Object names) info
of “Container1”.
All the Auth variables exist in rclone.conf.

Example command:
rclone copy PROD1: Dir1/Dir2/YYYYMMDD.tar PROD2:Container2_YYYYMM/Dir1/Dir2/
YYYYMMDD.tar

Currently, I am facing slowness in copying files from PROD1 to PROD2.

On an average, It takes about 5s to copy the object from PROD1 to PROD2.

If I count the time against 150M its more than 10000Days.

I have also tried “rclone sync with —fast-list” it is failing as it is
unable to keep the listing in the memory.

In this case, is there any easier and faster solution to  copy data from
Container1 to Container2?

Thank you.