[tc][all] Wallaby Cycle Community Goals

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Sep 24 20:39:50 UTC 2020

On 9/21/20 7:53 PM, Graham Hayes wrote:
> Hi All
>
> It is that time of year / release again - and we need to choose the
> community goals for Wallaby.
>
> Myself and Nate looked over the list of goals [1][2][3], and we are
> suggesting one of the following:
>

>  - Finish moving legacy python-*client CLIs to python-openstackclient

Go go go !!! :)

>  - Move from oslo.rootwrap to oslo.privsep

Dito. Rootwrap is painfully slow (because it takes too long to spawn a
python process...).

>  - Implement the API reference guide changes
>  - All API to provide a /healthcheck URL like Keystone (and others) provide

What about an "openstack purge <project-name>" that would call all
projects? We once had a "/purge" goal, I'm not sure how far it went...
What I know, is that purging all resources of a project is currently
still a big painpoint.

> Some of these goals have champions signed up already, but we need to
> make sure they are still available to do them. If you are interested in
> helping drive any of the goals, please speak up!

I'm still available to attempt the /healthcheck thingy, I kind of
succeed in all major project but ... nova. Unfortunately, it was decided
in the project that we should put this on hold until the /healthcheck
can implement more check than just to know if the API is alive. 5 months
forward, I believe my original patch [1] should have been approved first
as a first approach. Nova team: any reaction? Any progress on your
super-nice-health-check? Can this be implemented elsewhere using what
you've done? Maybe that work should go in oslo.middleware too?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/724684/

> Additionally, we have traditionally selected 2 goals per cycle -
> however with the people available to do the work across projects
> Nate and I briefly discussed reducing that to one for this cycle.
>
> What does the community think about this?

The /healthcheck is super-easy to implement for any project using
oslo.middleware, so please select that one (and others). It's also
mostly done...

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)