[all][elections][tc] Stepping down from the TC

Nate Johnston nate.johnston at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 15:29:33 UTC 2020

All,

I have decided not to run for reelection to the TC.  Although I remain a part of
the OpenStack community my responsibilities have shifted away from engineering,
and I strongly believe that the TC should be composed of people who are actively
creating or operating OpenStack on a daily basis.  I am deeply appreciative for
all of the support I have recieved from current and former TC members.

I also want to take this chance to tell my story a bit, in hopes that it will
encourage others to participate more with the TC.  A year ago when I joined the
TC I did not have a clear idea what to expect.  I had observed a few TC meetings
and brought one issue to the TC's attention, but since I did not have background
on the workstreams in progress, there was a lot that I did not understand or
could not contextualize.  So what I did was observe, gathering an understanding
of the issues and initiatives and raising my hand to participate when I felt
like my efforts could make a difference.  I was pleasantly surprised how many
times I was able to raise my hand and work on things like community goals or
proposals like distributed project leadership.  The fact that I have not been
around since the beginning - my first significant code contributions were merged
in the Mitaka cycle - and I did not already know all the names and histories did
not matter much.  What mattered was a willingness to actively engage, to
participate in thoughtful discernment, and when the opportunity presented itself
to put in the work.  I feel like I made a difference.

And if you don't feel the calling to join the TC, that is fine too.  Be a part
of the process - join the meetings, discuss the issues that cut across projects,
and have your voice heard.  If you are a part of creting or using OpenStack then
you are a part of the TC's constituency and the meetings are to serve you.  You
don't have to be a member of the TC to participate in the process.

Thanks so much,

Nate Johnston