[rpm-packaging][packaging][sigs] Moving to a packaging SIG

Dirk Müller dirk at dmllr.de
Fri Sep 18 12:52:20 UTC 2020

Hey JP,

> Last time we tried this, we were stopped by bureaucracy and technical details (IIRC?) which shouldn't be there anymore.
> I don't see a reason why this team couldn't move to a SIG now, which would be a lightweight governance model for you.
> You would keep your repos, and can still propose releases (if I am not mistaken). Things shouldn't change much. You can decide to change/add chair people when you want, and don't have to sign off a PTL for 6 months at elections, which was the most concerning matter for your projects IIRC (which lead to missed elections deadlines in the past).

This sounds good to me. you said "shouldn't change much". can you
clarify if you know what actually changes other than not being in
PTL-only activities? what about logistics like irc channel naming etc?

> I hope that this SIG can evolve in the future, to group not only RPM packaging, but also other packaging mechanism that want to follow under that new banner. That's why I proposed the SIG to be named "Packaging" instead. It's up to the community now to gather around the same banner :)

We always collaborated with Debian-style packaging folks as far as it
seemed fit, however the real collaboration overlap has always been
very very small. if we have contributors with debian-style packaging
interested in joining, then yes, we should use the more generic term.

Greetings,
Dirk