[neutron][ovn] Logical flow scaling (flow explosion in lr_in_arp_resolve)

Krzysztof Klimonda kklimonda at syntaxhighlighted.com
Thu Sep 17 15:56:49 UTC 2020

Hi,

We're running some tests of ussuri deployment with ovn ML2 driver and seeing some worrying numbers of logical flows generated for our test deployment.

As a test, we create 400 routes, 400 private networks and connect each network to its own routers. We also connect each router to an external network. After doing that a dump of logical flows shows almost 800k logical flows, most of them in lr_in_arp_resolve table:

--8<--8<--8<--
# cat lflows.txt |grep -v Datapath |cut -d'(' -f 2 | cut -d ')' -f1 |sort | uniq -c |sort -n | tail -10
   3264 lr_in_learn_neighbor
   3386 ls_out_port_sec_l2
   4112 lr_in_admission
   4202 ls_in_port_sec_l2
   4898 lr_in_lookup_neighbor
   4900 lr_in_ip_routing
   9144 ls_in_l2_lkup
   9160 ls_in_arp_rsp
  22136 lr_in_ip_input
 671656 lr_in_arp_resolve
#

ovn: 20.06.2 + patch for SNAT IP ARP reply issue
openvswitch: 2.13.0
neutron: 16.1.0