[Openstack-mentoring] Neutron subnet with DHCP relay - continued

Thomas King thomas.king at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 19:27:50 UTC 2020

I got the metadata network accessible over a routed subnet!

The breakthrough was making sure I pointed 169.254.169.254 to the Neutron
DHCP address rather than the physical or bridge IP address, this route
added to the physical router (L3 switch) that serves the subnet hosting the
Ironic controller.

Also, I made sure to add a host route for 169.254.169.254 to the
baremetal remote subnet in Neutron so the baremetal nodes will have a
proper route to the metadata subnet.

There is still some network tweaking left to do. We have a separate subnet
for ESXi mgmt vmkernels since they use virtual MAC addresses and neutron
doesn't recognize them. However, enabling DHCP relay for that separate
subnet breaks routing which also breaks cleaning and deploying, and I need
to find out where.

This is huge for our metal-as-a-service offering!

Thanks,
Tom King