[tripleo] distributed-project-leadership RFC

Marios Andreou marios at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 14:18:35 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 5:12 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2020-09-16 16:51:10 +0300 (+0300), Marios Andreou wrote:
> [...]
> > I'd like to nominate myself for the PTL role - ideally working with a
> team
> > of liaisons. Of course we may not find enough folks to fill all the roles
> > documented in the spec, in which case the PTL will have to ensure this is
> > done by some other means (in the worst case doing it themself);  so let's
> > see what the level of interest is here. Perhaps some folks will even
> > disagree with the distributed PTL.
> [...]
>
> I think there may be some misunderstanding due to how that document
> is laid out. It briefly describes our traditional "PTL with
> Liaisons" project leadership model for purposes of comparison (and
> to indicate that it's still the default), but then goes on to
> describe a new "Distributed Leadership" model which has no PTL.
>
> If you want to nominate yourself as PTL candidate for TripleO, you
> would do that as usual next week when PTL nominations open (see
> https://governance.openstack.org/election/ for instructions, but
> we'll also send another announcement to the ML at the start of
> nomination week). Whoever is elected TripleO PTL can delegate
> whatever duties to as many liaisons as they like, this has always
> been a strong recommendation anyway for a number of very good
> reasons.
>
> If the TripleO wants "PTL-less" distributed leadership instead (that
> is, a group of liaisons reporting to the team and to the TC, with no
> PTL as an intermediary), then that's what the 2020-08-03 Distributed
> Project Leadership resolution is intended to allow.

thanks for clarifying - so I'm in fact describing PTL with liaisons above.
I thought even with distributed PTL there is still a central figure that is
to be held accountable should any of the liaisons be unable to fulfill
their responsibilities.

I still think the distributed leadership model can work for TripleO but
that will depend on how many folks step forward to signal interest here. I
guess what we do ultimately will depend on that so let's give it a couple
of days,

thanks, marios