Is Storyboard really the future?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Sep 14 07:22:08 UTC 2020

On 9/14/20 8:59 AM, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 8:46 PM Thomas Goirand <thomas at goirand.fr> wrote:
>>
>> On 9/10/20 6:45 PM, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
>>> I feel you. I could not so far convince anyone to support me to work
>>> on it, mostly because
>>> Jira/GitHub/GitLab/Launchpad exists.
>>> Not to mention many small internal projects are happy with just Trello. :-)
>>
>> Did you just try to list all the non-free services you could in this
>> thread? Seriously, don't you care a little bit? You probably don't
>> realize it, but that's shocking, at least for me, and hopefully I'm not
>> the only one.
>
> I feel offended by the accusations.
> I *do* care about open source.
>
> Jeremy has already answered regarding GitLab and Launchpad.
> Let's not forget GitHub actually *is* the largest, diverse open source
> community,
> even though the service itself is not. It hurts me as well so please don't just
> randomly attack people mentioning non-free software.
> It can support open source software as well.

You're the one mentioning Jira, GitHub, Trello as possible solution to
solve the fact that you don't like Storyboard. This is IMO very far from
the spirit of free software. Sorry if you took it as a personal attack:
there's nothing personal here, just a strong opposition to using this
kind of services.

The fact that many projects are using these non-free services to produce
free software is actually a problem, not a solution. Same for Github
being (probably) the largest repository of free software: that's a huge
problem, as huge as the number of projects hosted. Lucky, many just
think of it as just free hosting and nothing more.

Gitlab being open-core, as Jeremy pointed out, is also a problem (anyone
that knows about the beginning of OpenStack and Eucalyptus knows why
open core is problematic).

> I did not propose that in any part. Launchpad is FLOSS and that is my proposal.
> The general idea behind my mail was to emphasise that Storyboard has
> great aspirations
> and assumptions but is far from delivering its full potential so
> should not be recommended without
> giving background and other possible solutions.

Launchpad is hardly installable, and is tightly connected to
Canonical/Ubuntu. It is a very good thing that the OpenStack community
has made efforts to get out of it. It is IMO counter-productive to push
projects to either go back to launchpad, or not migrate to Storyboard.

The only viable solution is to contribute and make Storyboard better, or
switching to another existing free software. There are many out there
that could have done the job.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)