device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 16:51:55 UTC 2020

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 08:56:00 +0800
Yan Zhao <yan.y.zhao at intel.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 12:02:44PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 13:50:11 +0100
> > Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > yep that is what i would prefer to see too.

> > > yes i really dont like haveing the version in the mdev-type name
> > > i would stongly perfger just qat-type-1 wehere qat is just there as a way of namespacing.
> > > although symmetric-cryto, asymmetric-cryto and compression woudl be a better name then type-1, type-2, type-3 if
> > > that is what they would end up mapping too. e.g. qat-compression or qat-aes is a much better name then type-1
> > > higher layers of software are unlikely to parse the mdev names but as a human looking at them its much eaiser to
> > > understand if the names are meaningful. the qat prefix i think is important however to make sure that your mdev-types
> > > dont colide with other vendeors mdev types. so i woudl encurage all vendors to prefix there mdev types with etiher the
> > > device name or the vendor.
> >
> > +1 to all this, the mdev type is meant to indicate a software
> > compatible interface, if different hardware versions can be software
> > compatible, then don't make the job of finding a compatible device
> > harder.  The full type is a combination of the vendor driver name plus
> > the vendor provided type name specifically in order to provide a type
> > namespace per vendor driver.  That's done at the mdev core level.
> > Thanks,
>
> hi Alex,
> got it. so do you suggest that vendors use consistent driver name over
> generations of devices?
> for qat, they create different modules for each generation. This
> practice is not good if they want to support migration between devices
> of different generations, right?
>
> and can I understand that we don't want support of migration between
> different mdev types even in future ?

You need to balance your requirements here.  If you're creating
different drivers per generation, that suggests different device APIs,
which is a legitimate use case for different mdev types.  However if
you're expecting migration compatibility, that must be seamless to the
guest, therefore the device API must be identical.  That suggests that
migration between different types doesn't make much sense.  If a new
generation device wants to expose a new mdev type with new features or
device API, yet also support migration with an older mdev type, why
wouldn't it simply expose both the old and the new type?  It seems much
more supportable to simply instantiate an instance of the older type
than to create an instance of the new type, which by the contents of
the migration stream is configured to behave as the older type.  The
latter sounds very difficult to test.

A challenge when we think about migration between different types,
particularly across different vendor drivers, is that the migration
stream is opaque, it's device and vendor specific.  Therefore it's not
only difficult for userspace to understand the compatibility matrix, but
also to actually support it in software, maintaining version and bug
compatibility across different drivers.  It's clearly much, much easier
when the same code base (and thus the same mdev type) is producing and
consuming the migration data.  Thanks,

Alex