[all][tc][goals] Migrate CI/CD jobs to new Ubuntu LTS Focal: Week R-4 Update

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 11 17:47:05 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-11 13:50:57 +0200 (+0200), MichaƂ Dulko wrote:
[...]
> We're in a bit of a pickle here. So with kuryr-kubernetes we aim
> to keep lower-constraints on the versions that can be found in
> CentOS/RHEL8 and seems like cffi 1.11.5 won't compile with Python
> 3.8. What should we do here? Is such assumption even possible
> given broader OpenStack assumptions?
[...]

To rehash and summarize my opinion from our lengthy IRC discussion
in the #openstack-infra channel yesterday, I agree that it makes
sense to run lower-constraints jobs on the lowest Python interpreter
release listed in our tested runtimes for that cycle. However, you
also have to take into account the platform(s) which cause that
interpreter version to be included. Basically if we're going to
standardize Python 3.6 jobs of any kind in Victoria those should be
running on CentOS 8 (which is in our tested runtimes for Victoria
and why we included Python 3.6 at all), *not* on Ubuntu Bionic
(which is not included in our tested runtimes for Victoria).
Otherwise we're stuck supporting ubuntu-bionic images for testing
stable/victoria well into the future even though we didn't
technically list it as a target platform.

This gets more complicated though. We've, as a community overall,
tried repeatedly to pretend we're not testing specific platforms,
and instead just testing representative Python versions. Except we
don't actually test with real Python versions we test with the
patched Python interpreters shipped in distros. So our job names
pretend they're Python version specific for the most part, when to
actually meet the intent of our tested runtimes we really do need
distro-specific jobs. We test Python 3.6 for stable/ussuri changes
because Ubuntu Bionic is a tested runtime platform for Ussuri and
that's the default Python 3 it ships, but Python 3.6 is listed in
Victoria for the benefit of CentOS 8 not Ubuntu Bionic, so we need a
different py36 job on each branch, running on different distros.
--
Jeremy Stanley