[cinder][stable][infra] branch freeze for ocata, pike

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:30:20 UTC 2020

On 9/10/20 8:40 AM, Előd Illés wrote:
> Hi Infra Team,
>
> While reviewing Andreas' patch [1], I have realized, that Cinder's
> stable/ocata and stable/pike branches were not deleted yet, however
> those branches were EOL'd already (see mail below).
>
> According to the process [2], since the EOL patches have merged already,
> if @Brian doesn't object, can you please delete
>
> - cinder stable/ocata
> - cinder stable/pike

I have no objection, but I haven't pushed the infra team about the
actual branch deletion because as far as I know, cinder is the first
project to actually request removal, and I suspect all sorts of stuff
will break.  I suggest we wait until at least after RC-time to give us
all one less thing to worry about.

As far as avoiding breakage goes, I put up two patches to devstack so
that it will check out the -eol tag of cinder/brick/cinderclient instead
of the stable branch, but I suspect these only scratch the surface of
what can be broken once the cinder project branches are deleted.

https://review.opendev.org/#/c/742953/
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/742952/

Sean suggested in an earlier thread on this topic [0] that instead of
deleting very old EM branches that some projects have EOL'd
project-by-project, we should just delete them wholesale across
openstack.  That makes a lot of sense to me.

[0]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-May/015115.html

cheers,
brian