[tripleo][ansible] ensure python dependencies on hosts for modules/plugins

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Wed Sep 9 14:33:38 UTC 2020

On 9/9/20 10:25 AM, Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:
> Since most of tripleo-ansible modules do 'import foobar', we should
> ensure that we have the corresponding python packages installed on
> target hosts. Some of them, like python3-dmidecode may be in base
> Centos8 images. But some may not, especially for custom deployed-servers
> provided by users for deployments.
>
> Those packages must be tracked and ensured to be installed by tripleo
> (preferred), or validated deploy-time (nah...), or at least documented
> as the modules get created or changed by devs.
>
> That also applies to adding action plugins' deps for
> python-tripleoclient or tripleo-ansible perhaps.
>
> Shall we write a spec for that or just address that as a bug [0]?
>
> [0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1894957

If we're talking only about tripleo-ansible, we might "just" add the new
dependencies in the spec file in tripleo-ansible-distgit.
If we're talking more broadly, as said in the LP, a meta-package
(tripleo-dependencies for instance) might be a nice thing, since it
would allow to take care of:
- package pinning (staring at YOU, podman)
- package dependencies

As for a proper spec, it might be interesting for future reference. Not
really sure if it's really needed, but...

Cheers,

C.

--
Cédric Jeanneret (He/Him/His)
Sr. Software Engineer - OpenStack Platform