watchdog fed successfully event of 6300esb

ligang (P) ligang6 at huawei.com
Mon Sep 7 14:04:20 UTC 2020

Hi folks,

I have an question to discuss about the 6300esb watchdog.

I think is it possible that qemu can send an event while the watchdog successfully fed by the vm at the first time.

Here is the situation:

Qemu will send an VIR_DOMAIN_EVENT_ID_WATCHDOG event while watch dog timeout, and if the action of the watchdog in xml of the vm was set to "reset", the vm will be rebooted while timeout.

I have an monitor process that register callback function of the VIR_DOMAIN_EVENT_ID_WATCHDOG event, the callback function will send an alarm to my upper layer monitor platform indicate that the vm is fault, and the cluster deployed business on the vm will isolate the vm by the alarm.

And after the vm rebooted , the monitor process will receive an reboot event and send it to the platform, the upper layer monitor platform will clear the alarm, and business continue to run on the vm.

In most cases ,the watch dog process in vm will feed the watchdog after vm rebooted and all things go back on track.

In some other cases,the guestos may failed to start (in my environment vm start failed by io error), but the reboot event will still be received and the alarm will be cleared and the vm is still fault. So the this may not a good idea to clear the alarm by the reboot event.

So, I think it will be helpful that the qemu can send an event while the watchdog successfully fed by the vm at the first time. So I can exactly know that the guest os go back on running and the watch dog initialized successfully.

Or any other opintion about this situation.

Thanks.