[kolla-ansible] Difference between deploy and reconfigure?

Tony Liu tonyliu0592 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 6 00:11:10 UTC 2020

Hi,

What's the difference between deploy and reconfigure?
I checked some roles, reconfigure.yml just include_tasks deploy.yml.
And I didn't find reconfigure as a condition for any tasks or handlers.
I checked kolla-ansible script, the difference is ANSIBLE_SERIAL
is specified by reconfigure. I also see comment saying "Serial is not
recommended and disabled by default.".

Here are some cases. I'd like to know which should be used.

#1 Add compute.
After updating inventory with the new compute node,
"deploy --limit new-compute" and "reconfigure --limit new-compute",
do they have the same result? If not, what's the difference?

#2 Change configuration.
In case configuration is changed in global.yml or inventory,
which of "deploy" or "reconfigure" should be executed to update
the cluster? Same or any difference?

#3 Fix the cluster
I was told to rerun playbook to fix some problems, like a container
was deleted. "deploy --limit host" or "reconfigure --limit host"?
Same or any difference?

Thanks!
Tony