[Ironic] Teaching virtualbmc how to talk to Ironic?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 18:49:02 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 04:37:09PM -0700, Julia Kreger wrote:
> I'm not opposed to maybe having some sort of integrated thing that
> interacts on some level with the conductor to offer up specific IPMI
> endpoints, although to do it I suspect some retooling or refactoring
> may be necessary of virtualbmc.

Absolutely: right now, virtualbmc itself is very libvirt-specific.
We'd have to abstract out a driver model, with libvirt as the first
target, before moving on to my idea of using the package to present an
IPMI-proxy in front of Ironic.

> Maybe it could be an "ipmi" or "pass-through" deploy interface where
> maybe we offer up an IPMI endpoint for a particular amount of time
> with specific credentials? I guess in the end some of this is a
> marriage of pyghmi's behavior and baremetal user behavior.

My thought was that we would generate random credentials whenever
someone acquires a piece of hardware from the free pool, which puts
some of this more in the realm of the leasing service that Mainn and
other are working on, rather than in Ironic itself.

> * How does someone claim/allocate machines into this pool to be used?

See above :)

I think a lot of this (spawning these services, managing credentials,
etc) might end up being outside of Ironic itself.

> Hope this helps, and my email makes sense.

This absolutely helps! I think you highlight a number of questions
that will help us plan further development along these lines.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {irc,twitter,github}
http://blog.oddbit.com/                | N1LKS