[nova] NUMA scheduling

Eric K. Miller emiller at genesishosting.com
Sat Oct 17 03:47:19 UTC 2020

> As far as I know, numa_nodes=1 just means --> the resources for that VM should run on one NUMA node (so either NUMA0 or NUMA1). If there is space free on both, then it's probably going to pick one of the two?

I thought the same, but it appears that VMs are never scheduled on NUMA1 even though NUMA0 is full (causing OOM to trigger and kill running VMs).  I would have hoped that a NUMA node was treated like a host, and thus "VMs being balanced across nodes".

The discussion on NUMA handling is long, so I was hoping that there might be information about the latest solution to the problem - or to be told that there isn't a good solution other than using huge pages.

Eric