Multiple backend for Openstack

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Wed Oct 14 14:11:42 UTC 2020

> Good Day
>
> From documentation we are able to understand that we can configure
> multiple backends for cinder (Ceph ,External Storage device or NFS etc)
> Is there any way we can choose the backend while instance launching
> .Say instance1 backend should be from an external storage device like
> EMC  and instance2 to launch and have backend volume from ceph .Can
> this be achieved using cinder availability zone implementation or any
> other way?
>
> I have gone through below link (*section Configure Block Storage
> scheduler multi back end)*
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/admin/blockstorage-multi-backend.html
> <https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/admin/blockstorage-multi-backend.html>
>
>   Suggestions please ..
>
> Regards,
> Deepa K R

Hi Deepa,

Backend selection is controlled by the scheduler, with the end user
being able to choose different volume types configured by the
administrator to tell the scheduler what characteristics are needed for
the selected storage.

The Volume Type section in the Multibackend docs briefly describe some
of this:

https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/admin/blockstorage-multi-backend.html#volume-type

These volume types can be configured with extra specs the explicitly
declare a specific backend name to use for creating volumes of that
type, or it can contain extra specs that just define other properties
(such as just stating the protocol needs to be iscsi) and the scheduler
will use those to decide where to place the volume.

Some description of defining availability zones in extra specs (which
I'm seeing could really use some updates) can be found here:

https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/admin/blockstorage-availability-zone-type.html

 From the command line, you can also explicitly state which availability
zone you want the volume created in. See bullets 2 and 3 here:

https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/cli/cli-manage-volumes.html#create-a-volume

Good luck!

Sean