[diskimage-builder][ironic-python-agent-builder][ci][focal][ironic] ipa-builder CI jobs can't migrate to ubuntu focal nodeset

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 04:18:35 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 05:09:56PM +0200, Riccardo Pittau wrote:
> This is possible using utilities (e.g. yumdownloader) included in packages
> still present in the ubuntu repositories, such as yum-utils and rpm.
> Starting from Ubuntu focal, the yum-utils package has been removed from the
> repositories because of lack of support of Python 2.x and there's no plan
> to provide such support, at least to my knowledge.

Yes, this is a problem for the "-minimal" elements that build an
non-native chroot environment.  Similar issues have occured with Suse
and the zypper package manager not being available on the build host.

The options I can see:

- use the native build-host; i.e. build on centos as you described

- the non-minimal, i.e. "centos" and "suse", for example, images might
  work under the current circumstances.  They use the upsream ISO to
  create the initial chroot.  These are generally bigger, and we've
  had stability issues in the past with the upstream images changing
  suddenly in various ways that were a maintenance headache.

- use a container for dib.  DIB doesn't have a specific container, but
  is part of the nodepool-builder container [1].  This is ultimately
  based on Debian buster [2] which has enough support to build
  everything ... for now.  As noted this doesn't really solve the
  problem indefinitely, but certainly buys some time if you run dib
  out of that container (we could, of course, make a separate dib
  container; but it would be basically the same just without nodepool
  in it).  This is what OpenDev production is using now, and all the
  CI is ultimately based on this container environment.

- As clarkb has mentioned, probably the most promising alternative is
  to use the upstream container images as the basis for the initial
  chroot environments.  jeblair has done most of this work with [3].
  I'm fiddling with it to merge to master and see what's up ... I feel
  like maybe there were bootloader issues, although the basic
  extraction was working.  This will allow the effort put into
  existing elements to not be lost.

If I had to pick; I'd probably say that using the nodepool-builder
container is the best path.  That has the most momentum behind it
because it's used for the OpenDev image builds.  As we work on the
container-image base elements, this work will be deployed into the
container (meaning the container is less reliant on the underlying
version of Debian) and you can switch to them as appropriate.

-i

[1] https://hub.docker.com/r/zuul/nodepool-builder
[2] https://opendev.org/opendev/system-config/src/branch/master/docker/python-base/Dockerfile#L17
[3] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/700083/