[Octavia][kolla-ansible][kayobe] - network configuration knowledge gathering

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Wed Oct 7 10:13:33 UTC 2020

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 at 10:20, Tony Pearce <tonyppe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark et al, thank you for your help the other day. I'm still a bit stuck with this one and I am trying to test the octavia network by deploying a regular openstack instance onto it (CentOS7) which is failing. In fact, my other and currently "working" external network is also failing to deploy instances directly onto this neetwork also. So I am wondering if there's some other step which I am missing here. Completely forgetting about the octavia network, I'm curious to understand why deploying instances to an external network has always failed for me. I have a network like this:
>
> Real network switch VLAN 20 ----> openstack external network "br-ex" (192.168.20.0/24)----openstack router----- openstack vxlan local network (172.16.1.0/24)
>
> I can successfully deploy instances onto 172.16.1.0/24 but always fail when attempting to deploy to 192.168.20.0/24.
>
> The octavia network is almost a mirror of the above except that the controller also has an IP address / ip interface onto the same. But forgetting about this, would you happen to have any ideas or pointers that I could check that could help me with regards to why I am unable to deploy an instance to 192.168.20.0/24 network? There is a DHCP agent on this network. When I try and deploy an instance using Horizon, the dashboard shows that the instance has an ip on this network for a brief moment, but then it disappears and soon after, fails with an error that it cannot plug into it. The understanding / expectation I have is that the instance will run on the compute node and tunnel the network back to the network node where it will be presented onto 192.168.20.0/24. Does the compute node also need an ip interface within this network to work? I ask this because  the octavia network did indeed have this but it was too failing with the same error.
>
> Any pointers appreciated so I can try and keep my hair. Thank you :)

For instances to be attached to provider networks (VLAN or flat), you
need to set kolla_enable_neutron_provider_networks to true in
kolla.yml. The compute hosts will need to be connected to the physical
network in the same way as controllers, i.e. they will have an
interface on the networks in the external_net_names list. To apply the
change, you'll need to run host configure, then service deploy for
openvswitch and neutron.
Mark