[nova]: Separation of VM size and extra specs in flavors

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Tue Oct 6 11:10:34 UTC 2020

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 9:04 AM Csatari, Gergely (Nokia - FI/Espoo) <
gergely.csatari at nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> During some discussions about CNTT <https://cntt.readthedocs.io/>, where
> several flavor sizes and extra specs are specified we realized, that the
> combination of all flavor sizes and the different extra specs results in a
> very large number of flavors.
>

> One idea was to separate the size and the extra specs on the creation of
> flavors and just define some kind of rules do define how the different
> sizes and extra specs can be combined. The other idea was just to leave
> things as they are.
>

> Are there any opinions on which idea is better?

To be honest, you're opening a can of worms.
We tried to discuss about it a couple of times, the last ones I remember
were during the Ussuri PTG in Shanghai where we tried to find alternatives
for not changing the os-flavors API.
See
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-November/010643.html
for the context which was leading to https://review.opendev.org/#/c/663563
eventually ending to be abandoned as the consensus wasn't reached.

-Sylvain

Thanks,