[all][dev] Python.h not found after openstack-tox-py36 is switch to CentOS8

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Oct 4 13:42:19 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-04 09:29:19 +0200 (+0200), Jens Harbott wrote:
[...]
> maybe even the TC recommendations for testing environments should
> follow what is happening in the real world and acknowledge that
> Bionic is indeed still a platform that is being used for testing.
[...]

The TC recommending testing on old releases instead of new ones
would basically mean we just stop being compatible with new distro
versions. I'll grant the change was late and should have been pushed
in at the start of the Victoria cycle instead of the end of it. In
future any test platform changes should just happen at the start of
the cycle and let the project developers cope with being unable to
merge any new changes until they get their repos working on the PTI
platforms for that cycle. Every time we try to provide an
opportunity for smooth platform transitions, we always wind up at
the end of the cycle (or even after the release) still trying to get
jobs switched over to them. We really need to stop seeing this as a
nicety and recognize it as the necessity it really is.

If the TC says we're going to test on Python 3.6 because that's the
version in CentOS 8, then we should be testing Python 3.6 on CentOS
8 and not some other entirely different distro which just happens to
have an old Python version which is similar.
--
Jeremy Stanley