[all][dev] Python.h not found after openstack-tox-py36 is switch to CentOS8

Jens Harbott frickler at offenerstapel.de
Sun Oct 4 07:29:19 UTC 2020

On 03.10.20 19:04, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2020-10-04 01:56:42 +0900 (+0900), Akihiro Motoki wrote:
>> openstack-tox-py36 is now run on CentOS-8 after commit
>> 31c4a7a18e2bd43d2893563b992c683c95baed6f was merged.
>> I noticed Python.h is not installed so we cannot install python
>> modules which require compilation. An example is found at [1].
>> Do individual projects explicitly install python-dev or will we handle
>> it in the common zuul job?
>> Before proposing a fix, I would like to hear our direction.
>>
>> [1] https://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/build/696978c5614c41bd88b5b2a1d6c2174a/log/job-output.txt#968
>
> We've also observed that the common mysqladmin invocations in
> tools/test_setup.sh files in many projects are failing due to
> differences in how MySQL/MariaDB are started or configured on CentOS
> vs Ubuntu.

I think this change should have been announced beforehand and given
projects enough time to prepare for the switch. Or maybe even the TC
recommendations for testing environments should follow what is happening
in the real world and acknowledge that Bionic is indeed still a platform
that is being used for testing. I've thus proposed a revert of the
change at [0] in order to unblock the gate for those affected (including
Nova and Neutron), allowing to reevaluate the necessity and usefulness
of this change.

[0] https://review.opendev.org/755954