[keystone][policy] user read-only role not working

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 20:42:39 UTC 2020

On 9/25/20 07:25, Ben Nemec wrote:
> I don't believe that the reader role was respected by most projects in
> Train. Moving every project to support it is still a work in progress.

This is true and for nova, we have added support for the reader role
beginning in the Ussuri release as part of this spec work:

https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/ussuri/implemented/policy-defaults-refresh.html

Documentation:

https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/policy-concepts.html

To accomplish a read-only user in the Train release for nova, you can
DIY to a limited extent by creating custom roles and adjusting your
policy.json file [1][2] accordingly. There are separate policies for
GET/POST/PUT/DELETE in many cases so if you were to create a role
ReadWriteUser you could specify that for POST/PUT/DELETE APIs and create
another role ReadOnlyUser and specify that for GET APIs.

Hope this helps,
-melanie

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/nova/train/configuration/sample-policy.html
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/security-guide/identity/policies.html