[cinder][ops] new cinder stable releases address upgrade bug

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 19:28:34 UTC 2020

Greetings:

The Cinder project has two new stable releases:
- 16.2.0 (Ussuri)
- 15.4.0 (Train)
(we also have a new Stein, 14.3.0, but it's not relevant to this discussion)

Among other things, these address Bug #1893107 [0], which could prevent
a cinder database upgrade from Train to Ussuri when the database in
question had been (a) unpurged and (b) originally upgraded from Stein to
Train.  (A purged Stein database upgraded to Train, or a database that
was new in Train, would not be subject to this issue.)

The 16.2.0 [1] and 15.4.0 [2] release notes outline some strategies for
addressing this issue.  We recommend that you read both before
attempting an upgrade to Ussuri and decide which strategy works best for
you and your users.  (Of course, you always read all the release notes,
but we figured it wouldn't hurt to bring this particular point to your
attention.)

Thank you for your attention to this matter!

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1893107
[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/cinder/ussuri.html#relnotes-16-2-0-stable-ussuri
[2]