[ops][nova][designate] Does anyone rely on fully-qualified instance names?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Nov 30 13:58:30 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-30 11:51:35 +0000 (+0000), Stephen Finucane wrote:
[...]
> This is more predictable but breaks the ability to use the
> instance name as a FQDN. Such usage is something I'm told we've
> never supported, but I'm concerned that there are users out there
> who are relying on this all the same and I'd like to get a feel
> for whether this is the case first.
>
> So, the question: does anyone currently rely on this inadvertent
> "feature"?
[...]

Just to be clear because I'm not entirely sure I follow the
question: Are you asking whether users rely on being able to set
FQDNs as instance names? Or are you asking whether users rely on
Neutron setting those instance names automatically as DNS names?

If it's the first, then yes lots of people (including my personal
servers, as well as all of the control plane infrastructure for the
OpenDev Collaboratory) enter the canonical DNS names of servers as
their instance names. We don't rely on any direct DNS integration in
our providers, but we do manually match instance names with address
records in the relevant DNS zones we maintain.

This also came up in another bug report recently, by the way:

    https://launchpad.net/bugs/1888722

--
Jeremy Stanley