[ironic] [tripleo] RFC: lzma vs gzip for compressing IPA initramfs

Marios Andreou marios at redhat.com
Mon Nov 30 07:33:25 UTC 2020

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 3:16 PM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 2:00 PM Sergii Golovatiuk <sgolovat at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> LZMA causes very high CPU and memory usage for creating images, leaving
>> less resources for other processes. If Ironic is running alongside with
>> other services that may cause significant impact for them. I would leave
>> gzip option as default, would introduce --lzma as well as --gzip and use
>> lzma on 5-10% of our CI resources to test how it goes. Then after a
>> significant amount of testing we could turn it on as default. Proper
>> deprecation should be applied here as well IMHO.

+1 to make it optional. Five or even ten minutes (per the testing by Arne++
earlier in this thread) is a long time for some of the tripleo jobs which
are running close to the 3 hour limit; for example we had to make some
adjustment [1] recently for the standalone-upgrade job because of timeouts.

> LZMA packing won't happen on ironic nodes. The images are pre-built and
> only unpacked on the target machines.
>
> Or does TripleO build images every time?

No the CI jobs use images pulled from the ipa_image_url defined in [2]
(that is for centos8 master, there are equivalent release files & image_url
defined for the stable/*). Those are put there by the periodic buildimage-*
jobs e.g. [3].

thanks, marios

[1]
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/tripleo-quickstart-extras/+/762674