[neutron] [nova] [ussuri] IP of the VM at the provider network is different than the one registered at the Openstack controller

Pavlos Basaras pbasaras at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 12:52:56 UTC 2020

Hello,

Setup:
i follow the main instruction for deploying openstack for learning purposes.
I can successfully deploy vms in an internal network, and also connect them
to a router that gives internet access using floating ips etc.
My setup is based on ubuntu 18. I have virtualbox for deploying controller
(10.0.0.11) and compute (10.0.0.31) etc.
I have host only adapters at virtual box (dhcp enabled) for the two
networks: mgmt: 10.0.0.0/24 and provider 203.0.111.0/24 as per the default
instructions, and i use iptables to NAT the vms.

Problem:
When following the instructions from
https://docs.openstack.org/install-guide/launch-instance-provider.html the
vm is deployed successfully but the ip that it is assigned is different
from the one that the controller has.
It seems that there are more than one dhcp instances running? How can i
debug this?

Any advice?

all the best,
Pavlos.