[telemetry] wallaby cycle planning session

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Nov 21 01:38:54 UTC 2020

On 11/12/20 11:25 AM, Matthias Runge wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> one of the biggest challenges for the telemetry stack is currently the
> state of gnocchi, which is... undefined/unfortunate/under-contributed/...?
>
> Telemetry started long time ago as a simple component ceilometer, which
> was split into several components ceilometer, aodh, panko, and gnocchi.
> Julien wrote a story about this some time ago[1].
>
> There has also been an attempt to fork gnocchi back to OpenStack[2].
>
> To my knowledge, the original contributors are not paid anymore to work
> on gnocchi, and at the same time, moving on to do something else is
> totally fine.
>
> However, I am not sure if we (in OpenStack Telemetry) should or could
> maintain in addition to the rest of the telemetry stack a time-series
> database. I'd like to discuss this during a call.

Matthias,

I'm not sure I will have time to join the call. So hopefully, you
understand that I prefer email (also because I wont be able to
contribute to the project, so maybe joining the call would be overkill).
Could you list the alternatives? If not using Gnocchi, what other
backend would you use? As an operator I need a timeseries which is:
- free software
- HA
- able to scale
- packaged or packagable in my distro

I don't know any time series db (apart from Gnocchi) that check all the
bullets above. Do you?

On 11/20/20 3:48 PM, Matthias Runge wrote:
> If it works for you, let's use this bluejeans channel[4] for the
> discussion.

Gosh, reading that you'd be using bluejeans, then definitively, I will
not be able to join the call... :/

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)