Victoria Release Community Meeting

Erno Kuvaja ekuvaja at redhat.com
Thu Nov 12 13:38:11 UTC 2020

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 11:19 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> On 11/11/20 12:23 AM, helena at openstack.org wrote:
> > The meeting will be held via Zoom.
>
> Could we *PLEASE* stop the Zoom non-sense?
>
> Zoom is:
> - known to have a poor security record
> - imposes the install of the desktop non-free app (yes I know, in some
> cases, it is supposed to work without it, but so far it didn't work for me)
> - controlled by a 3rd party we cannot trust
>
> It's not as if we had no alternatives. Jitsi works perfectly and was
> used successfully for the whole of debconf, with voctomix and stuff, so
> viewers can read a normal live video stream...
>
> If the foundation doesn't know how to do it, I can put people in touch
> with the Debian video team. I'm sure they will be helpful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Very much this, please.

There are plenty of options out there and yet we _choose_ time after time
to use the one that is not open source and has admitted neglecting their
security and privacy issues; and effectively forces the usage of their
application (I've yet to get into session without it like Thomas pointed
out.)

I know Zoom managed to put themselves on top of the hype wave when this
COVID-19 mess started, but we should be able to do better than jumping on
every single hype train out there.

- Erno "jokke" Kuvaja