openvswitch+dpdk 100% cpu usage of ovs-vswitchd

Laurent Dumont laurentfdumont at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 17:04:10 UTC 2020

I have limited hands-on experience with both but they don't serve the same
purpose/have the same implementation. You use SRIOV to allow Tenants to
access the NIC cards directly and bypass any inherent linux-vr/OVS
performance limitations. This is key for NFV workloads which are expecting
large amount of PPS + low latency (because they are often just virtualized
bare-metal products with one real cloud-readiness/architecture ;) ) - This
means that a Tenant with an SRIOV port can use DPDK + access the NIC
through the VF which means (in theory) a better performance than OVS+DPDK.

You use ovs-dpdk to increase the performance of OVS based flows (so
provider networks + vxlan based internal-tenant networks).