[Release-job-failures] Release of openstack/ansible-role-redhat-subscription for ref refs/tags/1.1.1 failed

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Nov 6 17:35:21 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-06 13:47:11 +0100 (+0100), Thierry Carrez wrote:
> The weird thing is that the PyPI error message says:
>
> "The description failed to render in the default format of reStructuredText"
>
> while we specify:
>
> long_description_content_type='text/markdown'
>
> in setup.py. It looks like PyPI is ignoring our indication in setup.py, and
> therefore (accurately) reporting failure to render in RST.
[...]

After nearly hitting bedrock, I think I've dug down far enough to
figure this one out:

Between the working and failing uploads, we switched our CI system
to install the wheel module from distro packaging rather than from
PyPI by default. Since the recent build was performed on an Ubuntu
18.04 LTS instance, it used the available python3-wheel 0.30.0-0.2
available there. As wheel did not introduce support for Python
packaging metadata version 2.1 until its 0.31.0 release, the failing
upload declared "Metadata-Version: 2.0" in the METADATA file. This
seems to cause the "Description-Content-Type: text/markdown" line
(first introduced in the metadata 2.1 specification) to be ignored
and fall back to assuming the long description is in the
reStructuredText default.

I propose we switch release jobs to run on an ubuntu-focal nodeset,
as most official OpenStack jobs did already during the Victoria
cycle. This will result in using python3-wheel 0.34.2-1 which is
plenty new enough to support the necessary metadata version. If for
some reason running release jobs for older stable branches on a
newer distro causes issues, we can try to make use of Zuul's new
branch-guessing mechanism for Git tags to create job variants
running stable point releases for older branches on the older
nodeset.
--
Jeremy Stanley