[gate][all] assorted tempest jobs fail when IPv4 default route is not available

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 23:30:20 UTC 2020

Hi all,

We have a gate bug [1] where if a CI VM does not have an IPv4 default
route configured, the job will fail with one of the following errors:

"[ERROR] /opt/stack/devstack/functions-common:230 Failure retrieving
default route device" [2]

or

"[ERROR] /opt/stack/devstack/functions-common:104 Failure retrieving
default IPv4 route devices" [3]

because the die_if_not_set is being triggered.

Most of the time, CI VMs come configured with an IPv4 default route but
something changed recently (around Oct 23 or 24) to where we often get
VMs that do not have an IPv4 default route configured and presumably
only have an IPv6 default route.

According to this logstash query [4] we have:

58 hits in the last 7 days, check and gate, all failures, all on the
limestone-regionone node provider, various projects, various jobs

Nate Johnson has proposed a fix here:

https://review.opendev.org/761178

Reviews appreciated.

Cheers,