[tripleo][ci] Monday Nov 2

Marios Andreou marios at redhat.com
Tue Nov 3 15:43:12 UTC 2020

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 5:31 PM Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 6:20 AM Bogdan Dobrelya <bdobreli at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/30/20 6:31 PM, Wesley Hayutin wrote:
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > The tripleo ci team has identified a handful of patches that we'd like
>> > to land prior to Nov 2, the day docker.io <http://docker.io> goes
>> away.
>> >   We've hit some new bugs and have also tuned a few things to try and
>> > make sure we can get patches to merge.
>> >
>> > Our current focus is across master, victoria, ussuri and centos-8
>> train,
>> > and queens while reducing coverage in rocky and stein.
>> >
>> > A list of the prioritized gerrit reviews can be found here:
>> > https://hackmd.io/MlbZ_izSTEuZsCWTJvu_Kg?view
>> >
>> > The entire topic can be found here:
>> > https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:new-ci-job
>>
>> In that list there are patches to puppet modules and openstack services
>> what run a single standalone tripleo CI job. I don't think creating an
>> extra provider job to run a single consumer job sounds reasonable.
>>

>> > Thanks all.
>>

> So our first pass there I think should be a content-provider. However we
> could potentially drop the content-provider and override docker.io ->
> quay.io as well.  We are not certain yet how well quay.io will perform so
> we're being cautious atm.

or as currently discussing with sshnaidm on irc the job itself can build
the containers instead of having a content provider do that

17:38 < sshnaidm|rover> maybe in puppet repos we will just build containers?
17:38 < sshnaidm|rover> it's one standalone job there only, irrc
17:38 < sshnaidm|rover> I think bogdan is right
17:39 < marios> sshnaidm|rover: but is it worth it to special case that? in
the end it is still just 'build one
                set of containers' does it matter if it happens in a
content provider or in the job itself? I
                guess it depends how stable are the cotnent providers and
the answer is 'not always' ... :/
17:40 < sshnaidm|rover> marios, it will remain one job there, not two
17:40 < sshnaidm|rover> and no need to change layouts, just adding one
variable
17:40 < sshnaidm|rover> these repos anyway don't expect to run anything
else from tripleo
17:41 < sshnaidm|rover> ~10 repos * N branches, will save us a little work..
17:41 < marios> sshnaidm|rover: ack ... if it is easy enough to have that
as special case then OK. and yes
                having one job instead of 2 (one content provider) brings
its own benefits