Which deployment method for ceph (rook|ceph-ansible|tripleo)

John Fulton johfulto at redhat.com
Sun Nov 1 18:34:06 UTC 2020

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 4:32 AM Oliver Weinmann <oliver.weinmann at me.com> wrote:

> Hi Jerome,
>
> thanks for your reply. Ok, but can rook also be used outside of
> kubernetes? Can I provision e.g. volumes for openstack cinder?

Rook provides storage for k8s and Ceph is one of its storage
providers. I don't think a Ceph cluster as orchestrated by rook was
designed for access outside of k8s. I've seen people expose parts of
it outside of k8s [0] but that type of thing doesn't seem to be a
standard rook pattern. I wonder how many people are doing that.

If you want Ceph to provide pools to both k8s and OpenStack, then one
approach I see is the following:

1. Install Ceph on its own independent system so it's external to both
OpenStack and k8s and use cephadm to do that deployment [1]
2. Install rook for k8s access to Ceph but direct rook to the external
Ceph cluster from step 1 [2]
3. Install OpenStack but direct it to the external Ceph cluster from
step 1, e.g. TripleO can do this [3]

I'm suggesting a tool to install Ceph, cephadm [1], which isn't in the
current list of tools in the subject. One benefit of this tool is that
you'd have the new Orchestrator APIs that Jerome mentioned but you
wouldn't have to use k8s if you don't want to. The downside is that
you don't have k8s operators directly managing Ceph. An upside of
using the 3-step approach above is that one Ceph cluster can be used
as the same backend to both OpenStack and k8s services. I haven't done
this myself but I don't see why this wouldn't work. You'd just manage
different pools/cephx keys for different services.

If you're not planning to use k8s, the above (without step 2) would
also work well for a large deployment. If you're interested in a
smaller footprint with just OpenStack and Ceph, perhaps where you
collocate OSD and Compute containers (aka "hyperconverged"), then
TripleO will deploy that too and it uses ceph-ansible to deploy Ceph
behind the scenes [4]. TripleO can also deploy CephFS for NFS access
from OpenStack tenants via ganesha. This can work even if the Ceph
cluster itself is external [6] though access to the NFS service is
meant for OpenStack tenants, not e.g. VMWare tenants. This method of
deployment will likely evolve over the next two TripleO cycles to use
cephadm in place of ceph-ansible [7].

  John

[0] https://www.adaltas.com/en/2020/04/16/expose-ceph-from-rook-kubernetes/
[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/cephadm