[all][stable] Moving the stable/ocata to 'Unmaintained' phase and then EOL

Előd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Fri May 29 14:24:36 UTC 2020

On 2020. 05. 29. 14:54, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> On 5/29/20 6:34 AM, Előd Illés wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> TL;DR: If it's not feasible to fix a general issue of a job, then drop
>> that job. And I think we should not EOL Ocata in general, rather let
>> projects EOL their ocata branch if they cannot invest more time on
>> fixing them.
>
> The interdependency is the trick here. Some projects can easily EOL on
> their own and it's isolated enough that it doesn't cause issues. But for
> other projects, like Cinder and Nova that I mentioned, it's kind of an
> all-or-nothing situation.

 From the resolution: "Note that it is possible for our CI
infrastructure to function based on EOL tags -
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/520095/ [1]
Does this cover the problem you mention? Or at least should we try that
this is enough?

> I suppose it is feasible that we drop testing to only running unit
> tests. If we don't run any kind of integration testing, then it does
> make these projects a little more independent.
>
> We still have the requirements issues though. Unless someone addresses
> any rot in the stable requirements, even unit tests become hard to run.

Yes, I experienced the same: from time to time, new constraints need to
be added to projects (especially those that are not using global
upper-constraints.txt), and not always clear from the errors what is the
exact root cause. Usually if someone takes the time to backport a patch
also tries to fix the problem (not always, though, and not always with a
success).

> Just thinking out loud on some of the issues I see. We can try to follow
> the original EM plan and leave it up to each project to declare their
> intent to go EOL, then tag ocata-eol to close it out. Or we can
> collectively decide Ocata is done and pull the big switch.
>
> Sean

Indeed it depends on what the community wants. Whether there are others
who are interested in keeping a branch open, keeping Ocata open for
bugfixes.

Thanks Sean and everyone, for thinking on this, and moreover for fixing
the ocata branch issues so far. :)

Előd

[1]
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20180301-stable-branch-eol.html#end-of-life