[all][stable] Moving the stable/ocata to 'Unmaintained' phase and then EOL

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Fri May 29 12:54:05 UTC 2020

On 5/29/20 6:34 AM, Előd Illés wrote:
> [snip]
>
> TL;DR: If it's not feasible to fix a general issue of a job, then drop
> that job. And I think we should not EOL Ocata in general, rather let
> projects EOL their ocata branch if they cannot invest more time on
> fixing them.

The interdependency is the trick here. Some projects can easily EOL on
their own and it's isolated enough that it doesn't cause issues. But for
other projects, like Cinder and Nova that I mentioned, it's kind of an
all-or-nothing situation.

I suppose it is feasible that we drop testing to only running unit
tests. If we don't run any kind of integration testing, then it does
make these projects a little more independent.

We still have the requirements issues though. Unless someone addresses
any rot in the stable requirements, even unit tests become hard to run.

Just thinking out loud on some of the issues I see. We can try to follow
the original EM plan and leave it up to each project to declare their
intent to go EOL, then tag ocata-eol to close it out. Or we can
collectively decide Ocata is done and pull the big switch.

Sean