[nova][ptg] Can we close old bugs?

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Fri May 22 20:37:21 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-05-18 at 18:11 +0200, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [This is a topic from the PTG etherpad [0]. As the PTG time is
> intentionally kept short, let's try to discuss it or even conclude
> it before the PTG]
>
> We have more than 800 open bugs in nova [1] and the oldest is 8
> years old.
> Can we close old bugs?

Yes.

> If yes, what would be the closing criteria? Age and status?

Age is probably easiest. I would prefer to keep those with an open, not
-2'd review around, since that implies there might be something to pick
up, but other than that, simple age will do. You're thinking something
similar.

> Personally I would close every bug that is not updated in the last 3
> years and not in INPROGRESS state.

This is very conservative. 18 months would be more than enough, IMO. As
Sean has said elsewhere, we have other bugs in Bugzilla and we're quite
aggressive in closing those if we're realistically not going to work on
a resolution any time soon.

Stephen