[swift] Erasure code hardware offloading

Tim Burke tburke at nvidia.com
Fri May 22 17:18:12 UTC 2020

On 3/18/20 2:41 PM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> External email: Use caution opening links or attachments
>

> Hi,
>
> Can Swift make use of an Erasure Code offload card (e.g
> https://community.mellanox.com/s/article/understanding-erasure-coding-offload)?
>

> regards
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay in responding; it's been a crazy couple months.
Swift cannot currently make use of an EC offload card, though that's a
very interesting idea. Currently, Swift uses liberasurecode
(https://opendev.org/openstack/liberasurecode/) which allows plugins to
a few different backends. I'm not sure what would be involved in trying
to add support for hardware offloading; whether swift or liberasurecode
or both would need to change, for example. But given recent news with my
(new) employer, maybe that's something I'll be able to look into in the
future ;-)

Tim