[nova][ptg] Can we close old bugs?

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Tue May 19 07:49:38 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 18:49, Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-05-18 at 18:11 +0200, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  [This is a topic from the PTG etherpad [0]. As the PTG time is
>>  intentionally kept short, let's try to discuss it or even conclude
>> it
>>  before the PTG]
>>
>>  We have more than 800 open bugs in nova [1] and the oldest is 8
>> years
>>  old.
>>  Can we close old bugs?
> realitically i think yes but we might want to mark them in some way
> so we
> know it may or may not have been fixed when we do.

How do we decide that a bug might have been fixed? If a human brain
needs to check the bugs one by one, then given the time such check
needs and the amount of bugs we have, I don't think this is feasible.

>>  If yes, what would be the closing criteria? Age and status?
> so downstream we debate this from time too time.
> ultimately if a release in no longer supported and we dont have
> customer using it
> then we can close "bugs" for those older release provided we dont
> think they affect current/supported
> release too. we have a 30 rule for bugs that are in "need info" e.g.
> if  i asked the reporter to provide
> more info such as logs and  they dont do so in 30 days we close it.
> they are free to reopen it if they
> eventually provide the info requested. i think this would be
> equiveltnt to the incomplete state upstream
>
> where the bug report is marked as incompelte because we are missing
> info we need.
> upstream we might want to extend the time frame form 30 days to say 6
> months/one cycle but after a cycle if a bug
> is still in incomplete its likely that any upstream momentum that may
> have existed to go fix it has long since
> fizzeled out.

When I request additional logs / information in a bug I immediately
mark it Incomplete and ask the author to put it back to New when she
provides the requested information. Also the 800 bugs in [1] does not
contain the Incomplete bugs.

> there might still genuinly be an issue that we shoudl fix which is
> why i think we should have some way to mark the bug
> as closed without resolution due to age such as a tag but i dont
> think it makes sense to leave them open for ever.
>>
>>  Personally I would close every bug that is not updated in the last 3
>>  years and not in INPROGRESS state.
> you are rather geourse in your tiem as i would close any bug in that
> state which si not on a maintianed
> branch. which would be 18 months to 2 years ish but we could start
> with 3 years.

I'm fine to close more bugs so 2 years works for me.

Cheers,
gibi