[neutron] parent ports for trunks being claimed by instances

Bence Romsics bence.romsics at gmail.com
Thu May 14 14:08:29 UTC 2020

Hi,

> > You mean that it is possible to later make that VM port (created by nova) a
> > parent port of a trunk? That is not supported in ml2/ovs (or it was not
> > before), I never tried with OVN
> the behavior should not depend on the backend used.

But it does and for good reason.

Ideally we wanted all drivers to allow putting a trunk even on a bound
port. But for ovs that would have required unfeasible complexity of
re-wiring upgrades (and network downtime while that re-wiring
happens).

Even in the api-ref we have error code 409 with reason "A system
configuration prevents the operation from succeeding":

https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/network/v2/?expanded=create-trunk-detail

The gist of my point in the other sub-thread was that an already bound
port can be made parent of a trunk with most drivers (except ml2/ovs).
But if you do this on a nova-created port (as opposed to a port
created manually or by anybody but nova) then nova won't be able to
delete that port when deleting the vm.

Cheers,
Bence