[all] pep8 job failing due to flake8 3.8.0

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue May 12 17:20:19 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-05-12 at 13:00 -0400, Brian Haley wrote:
> On 5/12/20 12:25 PM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> > On 5/12/20 11:14 AM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> > > Hello Everyone.
> > >
> > > You might have noticed that few or most of the projects pep8 job
> > > started failing.
> > >
> > > That is because flake8 new version 3.8.0 added the new pycodestyle
> > > with new rules. Hacking capped
> > > it with 4.0.0 version not with the minor version for 3.*.
> > >
> > > The new hacking version 3.0.1 is released which cap the flake8<3.8.0.
> > > Thanks to dtantsur and stephenfin for
> > > tacking care of it.
> > >
> > >   To fix your pep8 job you can,
> > >
> > > - Either fix the pep8 error in code if easy and fast to fix.
> > >
> > > - Or bump the hacking minimum version to 3.0.1. I have proposed it for
> > > a few projects failing pep8.
> > >    -
> > > https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:hacking-fix+(status:open+OR+status:merged)
> > >

> > > If pep8 job is passing then you do not need to do anything. The
> > > existing hacking version cap will work fine.
> > >
> > > -gmann
> >
> > This is also failing on some stable branches that had not moved to
> > hacking 3.0 yet. In this case, it may be better to add a flake8 cap to
> > the repo's test-requirements.txt file rather than backporting a major
> > bump in hacking and dealing with the need to make a lot of code changes.
> >
> > Here is an example of that approach:
> >
> > https://review.opendev.org/#/c/727265/
>
> I found in the neutron stable/ussuri repo that capping flake8<3.8.0
> didn't work, but capping pycodestyle did.  So that's another option.
>
> -pycodestyle>=2.0.0 # MIT
> +pycodestyle>=2.0.0,<2.6.0 # MIT
ya i created a test env on ubuntu 20.04 with python 3.8 and i had the issue and then
if i downgraded flake8 to even 3.5.0

if i do
/opt/repos/nova$ .tox/venv/bin/pip install -U pycodestyle\<2.6 flake8\<3.8
and then run pep8  in nova it still fails not resovle the issue

ubuntu at devstack-ubuntu-latest:/opt/repos/nova$ .tox/venv/bin/pip freeze | grep -E "flake8|pycodestyle"
flake8==3.7.9
pycodestyle==2.5.0

and i went older too
ubuntu at devstack-ubuntu-latest:/opt/repos/nova$ .tox/venv/bin/pip freeze | grep -E "flake8|pycodestyle"
flake8==3.6.0
pycodestyle==2.4.0

on ubuntu 20.04 under python 3.8 all of the above fail with the same errors for nova.

so there is something more going on then just flake8 and pycodestyle i think.