[all] pep8 job failing due to flake8 3.8.0

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue May 12 17:18:09 UTC 2020

 ---- On Tue, 12 May 2020 11:25:14 -0500 Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com> wrote ----
 > On 5/12/20 11:14 AM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 > > Hello Everyone.
 > >
 > > You might have noticed that few or most of the projects pep8 job started failing.
 > >
 > > That is because flake8 new version 3.8.0 added the new pycodestyle with new rules. Hacking capped
 > > it with 4.0.0 version not with the minor version for 3.*.
 > >
 > > The new hacking version 3.0.1 is released which cap the flake8<3.8.0. Thanks to dtantsur and stephenfin for
 > > tacking care of it.
 > >
 > >   To fix your pep8 job you can,
 > >
 > > - Either fix the pep8 error in code if easy and fast to fix.
 > >
 > > - Or bump the hacking minimum version to 3.0.1. I have proposed it for a few projects failing pep8.
 > >    - https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:hacking-fix+(status:open+OR+status:merged)
 > >
 > > If pep8 job is passing then you do not need to do anything. The existing hacking version cap will work fine.
 > >
 > > -gmann
 >
 > This is also failing on some stable branches that had not moved to
 > hacking 3.0 yet. In this case, it may be better to add a flake8 cap to
 > the repo's test-requirements.txt file rather than backporting a major
 > bump in hacking and dealing with the need to make a lot of code changes.
 >
 > Here is an example of that approach:
 >
 > https://review.opendev.org/#/c/727265/

It will only fail stable/ussuri not older stable as hacking flake8 cap issue is released
in hacking 2.0 which is in ussuri.  So all other stable branches will be using hacking <1.20 which does not
have this issue.

having flake8 in project test-requirement also need more maintainance to keep both place (hacking as well as project's
test-requirements) in sync otherwise it can break anytime.
example: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/727206/

-gmann