[puppet] Puppet 5 is officially unsupported in Victoria release

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon May 11 15:37:20 UTC 2020

On 5/11/20 2:03 PM, Takashi Kajinami wrote:
> Hi,
>

> IIUC the most important reason behind puppet 5 removal is that puppet 5
> is EOLed soon, this month.
>  https://puppet.com/docs/puppet/latest/about_agent.html
>
> As you know puppet-openstack has some external dependencies, this can
> cause the problem with our support for puppet 5.
> For example if any dependencies remove their compatibility with puppet 5,
> we should pin all of them to keep puppet 5 tests running.
> This is the biggest concern I know about keeping puppet 5 support.
>
> While it makes sense to use puppet 5 for existing stable branches from a
> stable
> management perspective, I don't think it's actually reasonable to extend
> support
> for EOLed stuff in master development with possibly adding pins to old
> modules.
> IMO we can delay the actual removal a bit until puppet 6 gets ready in
> Debian,
> but I'd like to hear some actual plans to have puppet 6 available in Debian
> so that we can expect short gap about puppet 5 eol timing, between
> puppet-openstack
> and puppet itself.
>
> Thank you,
> Takashi

Thank you, a bit more time, is the only thing I was asking for!

About the plan for packaging Puppet 6 in Debian: I don't know yet, as
one will have to do the work, and that's probably going to be me, since
nobody is volunteering... :(

Now, about dependencies: if supporting Puppet 5 gets on the way to use a
newer dependency, then I suppose we can try to manage this when it
happens. Worst case: forget about Puppet 5 if we get into such a bad
situation. Until we're there, let's hope it doesn't happen too soon.

I can tell you when I know more about the amount of work that there is
to do. At the moment, it's still a bit blurry to me.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)